Saturday, March 17, 2012

Bob's Red Mill Chocolate cake mix...

Today I tried a chocolate wheat free, gluten free cake mix from Bob's Red Mill. Since I personally prefer cupcakes over cake because they are less messy, I followed the directions and baking time for the cupcakes as apposed to the cake.The package said it made about 18 cupcake but I actually got 20 from the mix.
 The mixing directions were spot on and I found it to be a fairly thick batter, similar to a mouse, which made using a ice cream scoop to drop the batter into the paper cupcake liners quick and easy.
The dough raised surprisingly high, like a normal cup cake in fact, and the aroma filled my kitchen to the fullest.
The texture of the cupcakes were almost exactly like those of commercial flour cupcakes except just slightly denser and courser.
The  flavor was that of a deep dark chocolate and quite appealing to a chocolate lover like myself.
Although the texture of the flour in my mouth was definately not what I have not been use to over the years the taste was quite satisfying.
I would recommend this product to those who are new to eating a wheat free diet with the simple warning that although the  texture will not be what you are use to with commercial  refined wheat flours, the taste will out weigh the difference when you need a tasty chocolate fix.

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...