Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Easy, Quick, ,Gluten Free Pancakes

 In case you haven't dropped by lately you might not know that my "retired" husband has gone back to work once more. Yes, life does seem to be somewhat of a roller coaster ride as of late...So each morning I have the pleasant task of making a hearty breakfast for the two of us to start the day since he is now working from home.

We have had eggs and bacon, scrambled eggs, french toast, you name it.  I am pretty much tired of looking at eggs. All were gluten free, but I have been having visions of eggs in my dreams...

Today I thought I would step it up and make pancakes. He likes his plain, and I like mine with mini chocolate chips. I know that with having kidney disease I need to limit my  intake of certain foods, so mini chocolate chips gave me just enough of the chocolaty flavor I needed but not too much of the "potassium or phosphorus" that my kidneys DON'T need. As per my husbands input, the King Arthurs flour mix I used is already sugar free, and I used Allulose when following the recipe to help watch his sugar intake for his diabetic concerns. Yes, we are getting older and our bodies are not what they use to be. That is why it is so important to watch your diet now a days.

Have you ever done research on the sodium, fats, etc that the fast food industry has in their food. Not to mention being over processed, loaded with sodium and preservatives , that even I don't know how to pronounce! Gluten Free living can be easy once you learn the in's and out's. But just like everything in life, it can take time and patience. Even after years, I am still learning new tricks. Todays recipe was super easy, gluten free, low sugar, and very tasty. Even though the flour mix contains rice flours, I am still committed to developing one that is "grass" free, and continue to slowly wean myself off of them...

The regular recipe called for buttermilk, but since I was adding  chocolate chips to mine I used regular milk. You could also try Almond or Oat milk if you want, but the results will give you a different taste, possibly texture also, ..some adjustments may need to be made.

I hope you will enjoy as much as we did.

Please note: I always measure my GF flour by weight. If you measure by dry cups you may get a different result. Therefore I am also including dry cup flour measurements for your convenience.

Ingredients:

1 large egg

2T Allulose ( or 2 T regular or coconut sugar )

1 teas pure vanilla extract ( I used McCormick as I love the flavor )

2 T neutral tasting oil, such as vegetable oil, avocado oil, or refined coconut oil

3/4 cup regular milk, or milk of your choice, even buttermilk

  

Ingredients:

1 cup King Arthur all purpose Gluten Free flour blend, ( 124 gr)

1 T fresh baking baking powder  ( yes 1 T, helps make a nice rise)

1 large pinch of salt

In a medium bowl crack the egg, add the 2 T sugar, or sugar substitute, 2 T neutral oil, vanilla and milk. Whisk vigorously until fully combined.

In seperate bowl combine the GF flour, 1T fresh baking powder, and 1 large pinch of salt until blended well. 

Add the wet mixture to the dry and whisk until blended. Adding more milk, 1 T at a time, if needed, to reach the desired texture. I added 1 T extra milk at this point and it was perfect for me.

I preheated my griddle right before I added the liquid to the dry so I could directly pour  the batter onto the pre-heated griddle. Let the pancakes cook until you see bubbles starting to form on top, or lightly lift corner of pancake to see if its browned before flipping. Once golden brown  flip to the other side.

Transfer cooked pancakes to a large plate and continue cooking. I found the recipe made 5 fairly large, thick pancakes. They were tender, moist, and a definite recipe to keep and remake.

I hope you enjoy. If you try the recipe please leave me a comment and let me know your thoughts.

PS: I'm still working on my GF, grass free, grain flour blend. I ordered some more flours to try, and it's coming along better than I thought, so hopefully you will be hearing about it soon with some new recipes.


Ezekiel 16:19

"Also My food which I gave you---the pastry of fine flour, oil, and honey which I fed you---you set it before them as sweet incense; and so it was", says the LORD GOD.

No comments:

Gluten Free, and Free from Pop Up Advertisements

 Hi everyone. Just wanted you all to know that Wheat Free Living  and Me is totally free from  "Pop Up Advertising"... Nothing irr...