Saturday, September 22, 2012

Rice & Raisins...and my new Bread Recipe...

Okay...go ahead and laugh if you must, but I love cooked rice with raisins while still warm from the pan , smothered in milk and sugar. This was a treat my mom use to cook up for my sister and I when it was close to grocery day. It is a comfort food for me when I am feeling down. It seems to put me in a melancholy state, and relax my mind.

Today was one of those days where I needed a lift so off to the store I went to buy my much needed raisins for this dish, as there was none in the house. I also decided to purchase my gluten free flours as I was down to zilch and only have four slices of bread left in the freezer.

Having what I thought was everything on my grocery list I returned home only to find that I had forgotten to purchase eggs, so the bread making is on hold until tomorrow as I have no ambition to leave my house for the rest of the day.

Since I like rice so much I guess that is why I really like the Bread Recipe that follows. It is made with rice flour mainly, has a nice texture, taste, and toasts great. It toasts up crisp with a slight crunch, and I love it slathered with butter and jam! It also makes great sandwiches as it is tender, moist, and does not fall apart. The rise of the dough is one of the best I have seen from previous recipes I have made in the past ....it even has a DOUBLE rise...Because it browns almost immediately I suggest you let it brown for about 10 minutes them cover with foil for the remaining baking time. It makes a huge loaf and I like the fact that this is as fresh as it gets!

I can't remember where I saw the recipe but I do know that the baking time and temperature at which to bake the bread was missing from the recipe! I used the temperature and times that I have used for previous recipes and it came out perfect. I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as I do. Drop me a comment if you try the recipe, as I would love to hear your tips and suggestions!!

Have a great wheat free day!

 Rice Yeast Bread

2 Cups Brown rice flour
2/3 Cup Potato starch (not flour)
1/3 Cup Tapioca Flour
1/4 Cup sugar
3 1/2 teas. Xanthan gum
2/3 Cup dry milk powder
1 1/2 teas Salt
Mix all well in a large bowl and set aside.

1/2 Cup warm water
2 Teas sugar
1 1/2 T yeast
Mix water and sugar together until sugar dissolves. Add yeast and let set until yeast causes mixture to rise and foam.

1 1/4 Cup water
1/4 Cup butter or margarine
Put in pan and heat on low until butter melts.

3 Eggs
1 Teas vinegar
Beat eggs until foamy then add vinegar and mix well.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Grease bottom and sides of a 9x5 loaf pan.

In large bowl blend the dry ingredients. Slowly add the butter and water mixture on low speed of mixer. Blend in the egg mixture, mixture should feel warm. Pour the yeast mixture into the ingredients and beat on high speed for two minutes until dough is climbing up beaters.

Place mixing bowl in a warm place covered with plastic wrap and a towel on top for approximately 1- 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.

Return to the mixer and beat dough down on high speed  for 3 full minutes.

Spoon the dough into a 9x5 greased loaf pan smoothing top with a wet spoon, cover with sprayed plastic wrap and let rise once again until double in size. Bake uncovered for 10 -15 minutes then cover with foil and bake for remaining baking time of 50-55 minutes.( I baked my loaf a total of 65 minutes from start to finish)

When loaf has finished baking turn out of pan onto a cooling rack. Wait at least 1 hour before slicing.

* I used all Bob's Red Mill flower and Xanthan gum products, Red Star active dry yeast, Carnation instant nonfat dry milk, and Country Crock margarine for this recipe.

This is one of the best home made recipes I have found to date and is really quite easy to make!




 

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...