Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Gluten Free Flour Mix

 As you all know by now I have been experimenting with developing a new GF flour mix that is free of rice flours, and other flours that are in the grass family because of my personal grass and wheat allergies. Seems that all these years with having a wheat allergy, I had forgotten I am also allergic to grass...Ugh! No wonder I have still felt sick sometimes after eating, even when I watched what I ate.

First I will let you know I have been doing ALOT of praying over this issue. I have found over the years that so many of the GF flour blends on the market have just had such a bland taste, or else loaded with "fillers" as I will call them, such as coconut, nuts, chips, etc to camouflage  that missing flavor. Not to mention  that  many are made with flours such as coconut and other nut flours to which many are also allergic. Bean flours if not used correctly can, well, taste like beans! Rice....well ....It's easily available, cheap, and pretty much in everything. It's also pretty bland in taste and it still needs help from other flours and starches to make a blend,  just like all others do, as they can not stand on their own. It's also in the grass family.

I finally got sick n tired of being sick n tired. I know, I know......It's expensive to eat and bake gluten free. Trying this brand, that brand, only to be disappointed most times in the end, for which I am sorry. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel!

I have spent countless days and nights doing research on flours and formulas others have used, or tried. I have tried products that filled my stomach but did not satisfy my taste buds. I have spend hundreds, NO, thousands of $$$$$$$'s over the years on premade mixes and bags of GF  flours trying to create my own blend. Even now my pantry is filled with hundreds, and hundreds of dollars worth of gluten free flours and starches with which I have been experimenting with trying to find the perfect blend  that I can use. One that not only will give me the taste of "NORMAL" baked goods, but also be safe for my individual allergies, as well as yours.

I recently made a loaf of gluten free bread that rose well, as a matter of fact, it overflowed the pan, but that's another story in itself...My fault... It has such a bendable texture, nice air pockets, and toasts beautifully. Compared to most GF breads on the market I give it a big thumbs up! I have tried many GF breads, even reviewed a few on the blog. The bread I recently made with my blend, taste  more like that of a whole wheat bread than regular white, but that is fine by me, because I know what went into it.

Then I tried the same flour blend and made GF chocolate chip cookies with it. I have to tell you that I am so pleased with how these turned out! I took some to my neighbors and they said they were delicious, and they DO NOT even eat gluten free!

Thirdly I made chocolate cupcakes today, YES, with the same flour blend, and they rose, taste, and have crumbs just like gluten laden cupcake mixes you buy in the supermarked. Did I mention they are DELICIOUS!!!!  So I will be continuing to tweek, and try several more recipes with this blend before sharing. I may even be working on a cookbook in the near future. If this flour mix can work for breads, cookies, and cakes as well, then I have been truly blessed! It may truly be a substitute as a true 1 to 1. Oh, and did I tell you, it is 120 grams per cup, just like regular white flour......OH YEAH! 

So till next time,

Sharon


 Deuteronomy 28:12

The Lord will open to you His good treasure, the heavens, to give the rain to your land in its season, and to bless all the work of your hand.

No comments:

Gluten Free Flour Mix

 As you all know by now I have been experimenting with developing a new GF flour mix that is free of rice flours, and other flours that are ...