Sunday, August 12, 2012

Quick, easy and delicious!

Hi all. Yesterday I had made some Brown & Wild Rice Fusion for my side dish from Goose Valley for dinner as you remember. Well today I was stumped for lunch ideas and I was getting pretty hungry. So to avoid eating a whole pan of brownies which I had made last night...I needed to come up with a lunch solution, and fast!

I remembered a Spanish rice recipe my mom use to make when we were kids and short on groceries right before payday. Hamburg, rice, tomatoes, green peppers and onions, most items came from our garden...well with the exception of the hamburg and rice that is :)

Well I had no green peppers on hand, and I really wasn't in the mood for hamburg,  but I did have all the other ingredients on hand and a can of Garbanzo beans to replace the protein in the meat, so on with the cooking!

First I changed out chopped garlic in place of the onion, opened a can of diced tomatoes, a can of garbanzo beans and some of the cooked leftover rice from last nights dinner. Within five minutes a  hot delicious meal filled with fiber and protein was on the table. What could be quicker or healthier!

I have added the recipe below which you can use as a starting point. Like mushrooms...add a few. If you have green pepper's, then by all means throw them in. That's what leftovers are all about, right? This was quick, easy and delicious and I must say I even went back for seconds!!!

Sharon's "Spanish Rice" Recipe

1 teas minced garlic
2 T olive oil...I LOVE Newman's Own
1 - 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
1 - 16 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
1/4 - 1/2 teas crushed red peppers
2 cups precooked ( leftover) rice
Salt & Pepper to taste
Saute garlic in oil for about a minute on medium heat in a large skillet. Toss in can of diced tomatoes, juice and all. Add the drained garbanzo beans and simmer for about 3 minutes until tomatoes and beans are heated through. Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red  peppers, 2 cups of precooked rice, and cook an additional minute or two until rice is  heated thoroughly and it has thickened a little, then serve.This goes great with a crusty slice of buttered bread. Serves 4
I hope you enjoy as much as I did. Have a great wheat free day...until next time.


No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...