Thursday, August 16, 2012

Butterfly Bakery Chocolate chip cookies....

Hi all. Today I would like to share with you a product from the Butterfly Bakery in NJ who was kind enough to ship me some of their chocolate chip cookies for me to to sample and review. (they also sent me mini gluten free blueberry muffins which I will review separately) We all know I love my sweets, and I was excited to review yet another item that had chocolate in it.

The Butterfly Bakery was founded in 1998 by Brenda who is the founder and CEO when her mom was diagnosed with Diabetes. She wanted to be able to create sweets that her mother could still eat and enjoy, now that's a good daughter!  In addition to their gluten free line of just nine items, they also offer products which are sugar free, no sugar added, whole grain and low calorie, a little taste for everyone, with a total of 75 different products in all.

The chocolate chip cookies are a nice size, about 2 3/4 inches across, and come in a round 11 ounce tub which sells for $5.99 on their home site. I could tell before even opening the tub that these seemed to be a fairly delicate cookie, as several were already broken in half and there were lots of crumbles in the bottom of the container.

The taste reminded me somewhat of a mild, airy version of a shortbread cookie loaded with mini chocolate chips, and yet surprisingly enough they did hold up well to dunking in milk without falling apart. In my own personal opinion this is not your everyday chocolate chip cookie, although they did have a nice flavor the texture really threw me off quite a bit.

One cookie contains 137 calories, with twelve servings per container. Although they are gluten free they do contain milk and eggs is you have these allergy issues, and they are packaged in a plant that also manufactures products with nuts/peanuts.

Ingredients:
Amaranth flour, teff flour, sugar, brown sugar, water, butter, soybean oil, chocolate chips, whole eggs, baking soda, salt, natural flavor.

If you would like more of a airy, delicate, shortbread type cookie loaded with chocolate chips then these are right up your alley. I have seen many of the Butterfly Bakeries products in the refrigerated bakery section of our local Giant Eagle stores recently. If you can't locate their products in stores local to you then visit their site at the  Butterfly Bakery for more information.

Rating 3 1/4 Stars 

Although the taste was indeed good it did not have that "original" chocolate chip cookie taste and texture that I prefer. These may however make a excellent pie crust in the near future...



No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...