Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Everything breakfast bake...

Sometimes I just want something different for breakfast other than a cold bowl of cereal, fried eggs and toast, or pancakes. Today was that day. I have been known to be an adventurer in the kitchen even though my culinary skills are limited to my years of Home Economics in High School, so lets face it, a Chef I am not. Yet on those rare occasions I do sometimes hit the mark when it comes to my experimentation's in the kitchen, and today just happened to be one of those days.
Since starting on this adventure months ago, I have found that eating wheat/gluten free can have a few draw backs to it, if you let it that is. And since I am not much of a red meat eater these days figuring out where to get my protein throughout the day can be challenging. You can only eat so much PB or eggs.
I decided to make a "bake" this morning, throwing in pretty much everything I had in in the kitchen minus the kitchen sink.
Okay, I had a can of garbanzo beans...loaded with protein and fiber, great starter.  Canned tomatoes, low in calories yet high in vitamins, minerals and fiber. Canned diced potatoes. Although these contain carbs they area good source of fiber and have 0 grams of fat. A raw onion which contain sulfides known to lower blood lipid levels and reduce blood pressure. Last but not least were eggs. Although these have brought great debate over the years as to whether they are indeed good for you or not, they do contain almost all vitamins with the exception of Vitamin C.
As you can see I was quite hungry, and although I did not awake with the  intention to create a "healthy" Breakfast, I have been stocking my pantry a little more wisely as of late.
I found this new creation to be rather tasty. It has been a few hours now and I am still feeling quite full and  satisfied. Mmmmm, wonder what it would have tasted like with some frozen spinach and a small can of Salmon??? Maybe next time!
Hope you enjoy the recipe as much as we did. Until next post, have a great wheat free day....


Everything Bake Recipe:

2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1  16 oz can Garbanzo beans drained
1 14 1/2 oz can Diced potatoes drained
1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 small sweet onion diced
1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
4 medium eggs beaten
Salt & Pepper to taste
Salsa

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly oil a 8" square glass pan.

In a large skillet lightly saute the onion in the olive oil until tender firm. Add drained potatoes and cook over med high heat until potatoes are lightly browned. Toss in the drained garbanzo bean until heated. Lower heat to medium. Stir in the canned tomatoes and cook until most of liquid is absorbed.
Pour cooked mixture into oiled baking dish. Pour beaten eggs evenly over top of potato, bean mixture. Top with shredded cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes or until eggs are set. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting to serve. Serve with Salsa on the side.
Serves 4-6

Tip: Stock up on canned items when they are on sale. Also, don't be afraid to email companies and ask for coupons. You might just be surprised at the response you get!

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...