Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Breads from Anna... Banana Bread Mix Review...

Yesterday I tried the Banana Bread mix by Breads from Anna. I had previously tried her Classic Herb Bread mix and was quite pleased with it so I was excited to give the Banana bread mix a try.
I was also in the mood for a good warm sweet bread, as I wanted to wind down after a busy day with a cup of tea and a warm slice of  something sweet.
The directions are as simple as can be, 1/3 cup oil, 2 large eggs well beaten, 3 medium bananas purred, and 2/3 cup chopped walnuts and the mix, all of which I had on hand.
I mixed the ingredients according to directions and baked the full hour called for. I even let it cool for the full hour specified, even though I wanted to cheat and dive in. The smell of bananas and walnuts filled the room as it baked, and my mouth was watering with anticipation.
While cooling the top sank slightly. Also when cutting the bread it seemed slightly tough on the outside, although moist on the inside. The first bite set me back a little, as the taste of the flours seemed to have slightly a little more control over the taste than that of the banana's.
Although the bread was quite moist it was not as light and fluffy as I had hoped, probably because of the density of the flours used. The flavor that showed through the greatest was actually that of the walnuts.
It seems to taste slightly better the next day which left me a little disappointed as I had truly been looking forward to a nice warm slice lathered in butter.
I do however give the company kudos for using flours that are healthier for you in this mix and even thought it was not one of my favorite mixes I look forward to trying the other mixes in their line.

Ingredients:
Crystallized honey, tapioca starch, arrowroot, millet flour, potato starch, chia flour, pinto bean flour, navy bean flour, sea salt, cream of tarter, baking soda, xanthan gum.

I must admit this is the only Banana bread mix I have sampled so far on my wheat free journey, so therefore I have no other banana bread mixes to compare it to.Yet based on my own personal taste test, and that is what this review is all about....I would have to give it a a lower rating than their Classic Herb bread (which was definitely at the top of my scale).

Rating: 3 1/2 Stars

You can visit their site at http://www.breadsfromanna.com for more products and information.




No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...