Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Power outage....

If you have been watching the news this past week you will know that several states had been hit with severe power outages, our area was one of those affected. Our home, along with those in the surrounding areas were without power for five full days, a few areas are still without power as I type.

Now I am not afraid of the dark, and I can even handle no air conditioning for a period of time, but this past week was unbearable with the heat in the high 90's and low 100's. So after only one day of no air, no lights, and definitely no way to cook meals, the heat sent us packing. Since we had nothing else to do we headed off to visit family in a different state and settled into a hotel for four full days.

My husband, smart man that he is, used forethought and booked a hotel room on the Internet from his cell on one of those sites that give you great prices, so we got a super deal on the price of the room. Cell phones are wonderful things but like everything else in our home they need to be recharged, and sitting in your car with the motor running just to recharge your cell phone is not my idea of fun so we packed our bags and headed out..

Needless to say we lost everything in our refrigerator and freezer while our home was without power. All my gluten free meals which I had prepared ahead were gone, ( not to mention all staples such as mayonnaise, ketchup, my special gluten free flours and such had to be tossed. As my mother always says..."Don't cry over spilt milk"...(well in this case spoiled milk), so its off to the grocery store to shop today.

I hope that those of you reading this who were without power are finally back to normal. Life gets bumpy along the way and sometimes throws you a curve ball when you least expect it. I might have lost hundreds of dollars of food but I got to spend unexpected precious time with those I love, and quality time with my husband. This reminds me of a saying I saw posted on a local church just awhile back..."Don't give up, ...Even Moses was a basket case once". So I will count my blessings, make out my grocery list, and go shopping.....again!
So till next post, be blessed and have a super wheat free day!


 

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...