Thursday, October 1, 2015

Gluten free pesto for the soul!



Hello everyone. I trust your day is going well. I got off to a shaky start this morning but things are hopefully back on track. It has been a really hectic week. I have been trying to help my sister find a new place to live that will be closer to her job. I watched my five year old grandson yesterday as he was running a fever and couldn't attend school. I have to drive my oldest grand child to an appointment today as she doesn't yet have her drivers licence. All of this while still trying to perfect a vanilla cupcake recipe...

I have been up since 7:00 AM today and already have unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, made a batch of cupcakes, which I have yet to sample. I have tackled several chores and I am about to get ready for the rest of the day, but wanted to share a great pesto recipe with you first.

I love pesto, that is if done right, and I hate all those added "things" they contain when purchased in the store, especially pine nuts as I am allergic, so this is a nice recipe for me as I can sub walnuts, and I know it's fresh. My friends at Miracle Noodle had this great recipe on their site that I really, really  like, so I will post it here.

This is the easiest recipe I have made to date for pesto, and the taste really is super. So I hope you  enjoy. In my book it rates a #10....Oh....Did I mention that their noodles are great too....and 0 calories!!!

Sharon

 


Ingredients

2 cups fresh basil leaves
4 medium cloves garlic
A pinch of sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted (you can sub chopped walnuts)
2 1/2 tablespoons (1 ounce) freshly grated Parmigiana cheese
2 1/2 tablespoons (1 ounce) finely grated Pecorino cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Method

  1. Rinse the basil leaves and spin dry. Place them together with pine nuts into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a several times. Add the peeled garlic and pulse several times more to mix.Slowly add the olive oil to emulsify until the mixture is creamy.
  2. Transfer the contents to a separate bowl and mix in the grated cheeses with a spoon or spatula. At the end stir in some salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Serving suggestion:

  1. Pesto can be served with rinsed package of Miracle Noodle pasta right away or on any of your favorite gluten free pastas.
 

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...