Saturday, October 19, 2013

Twist on plain ol grilled cheese....

Let me be the first to admit that I sometimes like different...I have been known to throw a breakfast or lunch together with what ever I seem to have in the pantry or refrigerator. Sometimes I just cant decide what it is that I have a hankering for, and other times I am just to lazy to make a run to the store for ingredients, and actually have to use my imagination on these occasions... What ever the reasons are, I just like a change in my cuisine from time to time.
 
Grilled cheese is a all time favorite "go to" food in my house, but it can be just plain boring. Recently I came across a recipe for a Spinach-Artichoke grilled cheese sandwich  that caught my eye. The pic looked delish and I just knew that it was a must try....
 
I have to say the ingredients have such a smooth blend, and the taste was out of this world. So if plain old grilled cheese has left you in a rut, give this recipe a try.
 
Ingredients:
 
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
1 tablespoon gf flour (rice is fine)
1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)
1 ounce cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Greek yogurt 
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup (about 5 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 (6.7 ounce) jar marinated artichokes, chopped
8 slices gluten free bread
butter, for spreading
 
Directions:
 
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Whisk in flour until it makes a paste. Cook over medium-low heat for a minute or two, then pour in milk. Stir and cook one minute, if your paste gets too thick add a little more milk. Remove from heat.
 
Add cream cheese, mozzarella, Parmesan and pepper flakes. Stir until cheeses are melted. Stir in the Greek yogurt until smooth. Chop artichokes and spinach and add to the sauce. Stir to combine. Dip will be pretty thick at this point!
 
Heat a skillet,or griddle, oven medium-low heat. Butter the outsides of every bread slice, then spread about 3 tablespoons of the spinach and artichoke dip on the inside (the non-buttered side) of each slice of 4 pieces of the bread. Top off with another slice of bread, buttered-side up. Cook until each side is golden and crisp and cheese is melted, then gently flip and do the same.
Slice and serve.
 
If you  have any leftover spinach and artichoke dip you can use it for sandwiches or as a yummy dip the next day!

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...