Thursday, September 5, 2013

Frozen Peaches...

peaches-hdr

My husband and I are huge Costco shoppers as we buy most things in bulk to save money. Things like paper towels, laundry soap, dish soap, and other necessities. The other day when shopping we decided to buy some fresh fruit as we both seem to be on a fruit smoothie kick lately. Heading for the fruit section we came upon boxes of peaches that were bigger than my fist in size. They looked so delicious they naturally ended up in the cart...

OK, I know sometimes I can be a impulsive shopper, but something sweet and juice was just what I needed since I have been trying to cut down on my processed sugary sweets. The first peach smoothie we made was out of this world, and left my taste buds tingling with it's sweet juicy flavor. The second was just as tasty as the first. By the third smoothie I was just about peached out as was my husband, so when we switched to banana pineapple smoothies.  I was in a dilemma as to what to do with the eight remaining beauties sitting on my counter, knowing that neither of us would be in the mood for a peach smoothie anytime soon...

What to do...I do not a can, although I find it quite interesting and envy those who do. Nor did I have time to make peach jelly, or peach spread, as it was over the holiday and we had places to go and people to see. I decided to search the web for information on freezing them, as I thought this would be the easiest of all my options. I am so glad I decided to not discard of them.

As I placed my bags of peaches on the freezer shelf I felt a wave of great accomplishment! Not only did I step out of my comfort zone, but I will now have the best tasting peaches to partake of during the coming winter months! Peaches for smoothies, peaches  on cereal, or smothered in milk on a cold Winter day...

Yep...I am one proud peach freezer!!! The only regret I have is that I didn't buy more boxes to freeze. Oh...did I mention I might be making a trip to Costco's tomorrow   =)

Enjoy the recipe!
Sharon


Freezing Peaches:

Wash and clean peaches. Place the whole clean peaches in a large pot and cover completely with water, leaving about 1" of water above the peaches.

Remove the peaches from pot and place the pot on the stove on a med-high heat until it reaches a rapid boil.

Lower the peaches into the boiling water for just under a minute using a slotted spoon or a small frying spider.

Move the scalded peaches to a large bowl that is half full of ice and cold water, to quickly stop the cooking process and to chill the peaches.

Remove the skins from the peaches then cut in half and remove the pits. Lay peach halves on a cutting board and slice each half into four even slices, removing any bruised or rotten sections at this time.

Mix 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice and 2-3 T of sugar. Place peach slices into a large bowl and pour the juice over peaches, blending evenly using your hands. Place a even amount of peaches in each freezer zip lock bag (I put 12 slices in each) and pour the remaining juice from the bowl into the bags, distributing evenly.

 Mix the juice to evenly distribute over the peaches by gently shaking the bag before forcing out as much air as possible, then seal the bags.

Wipe down outside of bags with a paper towel and date the bags with a permanent marker. Lay bags flat on freezer rack to freeze so they can be evenly stacked later once frozen to save space. These are good for up to a year in the freezer, but I don't think mine will make it that long...


 

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...