Sunday, July 7, 2013

Crystal Noodle Soup...

It's another overcast day here in Ohio today....where has all the sunshine gone? Days like today remind me of Fall, except for the site of the lush green foliage I can see out my front living room window. I was just recently diagnosed with having a very low Vitamin D level, and gloomy days like today sure don't help.

I sat around for awhile wondering what could boost my mood...BESIDES chocolate :-) If it is going to be gloomy out I needed  to think about what I could make to lift my spirits for lunch. Mmmmm...
I have always loved a good bowl of soup and a sandwich on a dreary day, so today would be perfect.

Last week I had received three different varieties of soup from Crystal Noodle to sample and review. Since I have a special love for onions I decided to try their Caramelized Onion soup. I enjoy making home made soup on a cold Winter day, but being we are in the middle of summer with just one of those completely gloomy days looming overhead and no place to go, I decided to try something quick and easy.

I had some cooked bacon leftover from yesterdays breakfast so I threw it on some gluten free rye with a slice of cheese, and made a bacon-grilled cheese sandwich. Then I threw some water in the microwave to boil to add to the soup cup. While the soup steeped I finished the grilled sandwich and then sat down to a very tasty lunch.

The Caramelized Onion soup is as delicious as any onion soup you will find in a restaurant, minus the bread and cheese of course, but never the less very delicious. I enjoyed the taste of the onions with the texture of the mung bean noodles. These noodles are a clear thin noodle made from the mung bean, and are flourless, making them gluten-free, and always non-fried. The cup makes a 1.09 oz serving of soup and was quite filling  with only 110 calories. It did not disappoint! I am anxious to try their other varieties as well.

Although the Sodium percentage was slightly higher that the regular canned onion soups I currently stock in my cupboard, I would definitely add this to my grocery list in the future. The fact that these soups are gluten-free, have no added MSG, 0 Trans fat, are great for Vegetarians, and ready in three minutes make them great time savers. Not to mention it was great tasting as well, as all the fresh ingredients are freeze dried to preserve the taste.

You all know how I love to experiment....I believe by adding just a touch of cornstarch as a thickening agent that this could make a wonderful glaze for pot roast.....Mmmmm...

Well until next post, have a great gluten-free day, and check out Crystal Noodles site where you can purchase the soups. You'll be glad you did...

Sharon

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...