Sunday, June 9, 2013

Gluten...Gluten Free???

Gluten...Gluten free, that is the question I have to ask myself. I just returned from Pennsylvania once again from a trip to visit family. It was the grand "Twins" High School graduation, and something I definitely didn't want to miss. I have been back and forth to Pennsylvania a total of six times in the past month and a half, and I feel like I have been living out of my car, along with my sick feline Angel.  She is definitely not enjoying all this traveling in the car lately :-(  , and she sulks.

My dilemma this trip is that I was definitely NOT prepared, and the schedule was so quick paced that fast foods made up most of my meals. We have a favorite hot dog shop in my old stomping grounds named "The Brighton Hot Dog Shop" ...they have been around for as long as I can remember, even as a teenager. Their chili hot dogs are out of this world, along with their famous fries!

After the graduation ceremony this is the spot where everyone decided to meet. Nothing on their menu is even remotely gluten free, but being that I hadn't eaten since around 11 AM and it was now 9:30 in the evening, I decided I would just have to bite the bullet and indulge...

The very next day my choices was almost as bad. Although at breakfast I was on back on track, the rest of the day pretty much went the same as the previous evening....Huge mistake! When will I ever learn???

Since I am the only one who is eating gluten free in the family (my husband has shifted gears ever so slightly) they just don't seem to understand its importance, although with all the physical "symptoms" many of them have, they should be living a gluten free lifestyle as well.

I am now back home and can finally get back on track, although I am pretty sure it is going to take awhile for all that gluten to get out of my system, and for the physical symptoms from indulging in gluten laden foods to go away. Possibly this trip I have learnt my lesson, as even the arthritic symptoms in my hands have seemed to resurface, OUCH! And my body is screaming at me for loading it with foods it has a hard time tolerating. What was I thinking, putting into my body what it considers to be poison????

Some out there might think I am a little off for my eating style, some might even think it is another crazy fad, but for myself I know it is a much needed way of life. Next time I will definitely be prepared, and at this moment I am working on a emergency traveling kit to better stay on track.

If anyone has any ideas on traveling gluten free please feel free to post a comment to share...We all need a little help now and then!

As always...have a great gluten free week!
Sharon 

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...