Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Gluten Free flour tortilla recipe...

If you are like me it has been some time since you have had a decent gluten free Tortilla wrap. Most you buy in the stores are hard, and break when you try to roll them, or taste like cardboard, uck!

I have been on a long awaited search for these, and finally found a recipe that seems to work for me. These make great wraps not only for sizzling fajitas, but also to use for tuna and egg salad sandwiches as well. You are only limited by your own imagination. They would be great as a bread replacement as well. I can't wait to try them the next time I make my Cherry enchilada bake, as the corn wraps I used last time with the cherries wasn't my favorite mixture as far as taste went.

I love the fact they are made with white rice so the flavor will be milder. ...I have put the leftover wraps in the freezer for future use and am not sure how  they will freeze, I will have to keep you updated on that at a later time. Hope you enjoy!

          Ingredients

    2 c. Gluten-free all purpose flour (or 2 c. White rice flour)
    2 tsp. Xanthan gum or Guar gum
    1 tsp. Gluten-free baking powder
    2 tsp. Brown sugar
    1 tsp. Salt
    1 c. Warm water
    Directions


    1) Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix the ingredients thoroughly.

    2) Add the cup of warm water to the bowl and mix the dry ingredients into the water with your hand until its an even mixture.

    3) Separate the dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Place all but one of the dough balls back into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap until you're ready to work with them.

    4) Sprinkle a clean, flat surface with a bit of buckwheat flour and then roll your dough ball into a roughly circular shape and get as thin as possible.

    5) Throw the tortilla onto a hot griddle (I use a cast iron griddle on medium heat with just a smidgen of olive oil) and let it cook approximately 1-2 minutes or until it has started puffing up and the bottom side is developing those lovely brown spots. Flip the tortilla and cook the other side until is toasty as well.

    6) Slide the cooked tortilla onto a covered plate to stay warm and repeat from step 4 until you've cooked all 8 tortillas. I generally roll one tortilla out while another is cooking, so that there is always a tortilla on the griddle.

    7) Serve these warm with your favorite filling, or heat up later and use as a roll up for quick sandwiches.!
    Happy gluten free day!
    Sharon

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...