Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Basic Fluffy Pancakes...with Bisquick replacement...

Hi all. Today I found a flour mixture that is so close to GF Bisquick that I almost did a double take. I love Bisquick...always have. Their pancakes have always been a favorite in my house, but I have found that their GF mix is a little costly.

I came upon this flour mixture by accident in a magazine and decided to give it a try with a "Basic Fluffy Pancake" recipe my mom had given me several years ago. The pancakes turned out so good that I plan on mixing several batches of the flour to have on hand for future use. Then all I will have to do is add the wet ingredients when I want to made them again.

You could make buttermilk pancakes with this mix, or blueberry. I opted for chocolate chip pancakes, and as you can see by the picture I like to make smiley faces just for fun right before flipping...My grandsons love these!

I hope your family likes them as much as mine did. I especially liked the savings! I used Bob's Mills flours which were all less than $3.00 a bag and I have loads of extra flour left over to make many more batches of pancakes.

Enjoy, and have a great wheat free day!
Sharon

 (Gluten Free flour mixture)

1/2 cup rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch/flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
* Use this flour mixture for the 1 cup needed in the recipe below

Basic Fluffy Pancakes Recipe:

1 cup of the above gluten free flour mixture
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, melted butter or margarine
2 large eggs

Mix the flours, baking powder, sugar, salt, and xanthan gum together in a mixing bowl and set aside.

Stir together the milk, oil, and eggs, whipping lightly.

Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture slowly until no lumps are visible. Do not over beat.

Bake on a heated griddle or frying pan until bubbles form and the under surface is nicely browned.

Lift the pancake with a turner and brown other side.

Serve immediately with butter and warm syrup, honey, or your favorite topping.

*To make Buttermilk pancakes: Use buttermilk in place of milk and replace the baking powder with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.

* For Blueberry pancakes: Add 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, or 1/2 cup drained canned blueberries to batter just before baking on griddle.

Serves 4





 

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...