Monday, November 12, 2012

Thanksgiving Gingerbread Cake

It is 4:44 in the morning and although I am tired I just can not sleep with all the thoughts running through my mind. My husbands job has brought us to sunny Tennessee and I will be here for two weeks, of which one has already passed.

I am not an early bird by nature, but since my husband is working twelve hour days, up at 3 AM each morning, and we are staying in a RV for the duration of the visit, it is hard not to be woken during his morning routine of getting ready for the day. I prefer to stay up late and sleep in, not the case as of late!

I decided instead of tossing and turning that I would simply post on the blog. Since I haven't had my computer up and running for over a week I have much catching up to do. I have hundreds of emails to sort through and answer, and I find that the products I need to sample and review will all have to wait until I return home, as RV life is somewhat of a challenge when it comes to cooking!!!

My first attempt at baking a pre-made GF pizza in the tiniest of ovens ended up with one half of the crust burnt to a crisp. I guess I can add "camping" to my list of things I need to brush up on. Thank God for crock pots, and understanding husbands! Baking bread is out of the question, and trying to make a batch of cookies isn't worth the time or effort. Next time I will know to come prepared.

The trip though has not been without it's advantages. It has given me the time to catch up on learning more about living gluten free, and to sort through the many GF Christmas cookie recipes I would love to try. I have several new flour mixtures for breads and baked goods I also want to experiment with upon my return to "civilization." :)

 With Thanksgiving right around the corner there so many recipes I could write about or post but I thought one recipe, and a few tips to keep you true true to your GF lifestyle might be more beneficial.

When preparing your gluten free Thanksgiving meal these are a few things that you might serve:

* Jennie-O Honeysuckle White Turkey (most turkeys are GF but be sure to read the label)
* Sweet or  Mashed potatoes with butter
* Potato Salad (use GF dressing)
*Use cornstarch as a thickener for your gravy
*Add any fresh vegetable (such as green beans tossed with olive oil and garlic)
* Biscuits or GF rolls ( Bisquick  brand GF mix makes a great cheese biscuit...recipe on their site)
* Ice cream or Jell O for dessert ( check labels)
*Remember to make your favorite stuffing using GF bread or avoid stuffing the bird altogether.

OR... my quick and easy Thanksgiving Gingerbread Cake recipe to top off the day...(posted before, but a great recipe to end the Thanksgiving day) Or try baking your favorite pumpkin pie in a crust less version...fewer calories and still delicious!


RECIPE:

GF Thanksgiving Gingerbread Cake recipe:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup shortening (must use shortening for this recipe)
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1teas baking soda
3/4 teas xanthan gum
1 teas ground cinnamon
1 teas ground allspice
1 teas ground ginger
1 cup hot water


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a  8x8 inch square pan. ( use rice flour )

Beat the shortening until light and fluffy with a electric mixer on medium speed. Gradually add the sugar, beating well.

Add eggs and molasses mixing well.

Combine the flour, spices, baking soda, and xanthan gum. Add flour mixture to the shortening mixture alternating with the hot water, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. ( I used a glass pan and baked for 35 minutes)

Serve warm, or refrigerate cake when it is cool. Reheat leftovers in the microwave when desired for 30 seconds per slice, that is if there are any leftovers!!!.

Hope you enjoy and as always have a great gluten free day...

Sharon

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...