Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sun Flour Mills Sugar Cookie review...

It has been awhile since I have reviewed any of Sun Flour Mills products and since I still had a few of their products on hand, compliments of the company, I decided to make some sugar cookies this evening. Christmas is right around the corner and I like to get a jump start on what cookies I will be making for my holiday trays. Since this will be my first year being totally gluten free I need to really plan ahead.

I am trying to bake according to my family's likes and dislikes, and since my youngest daughter loves Snicker doodles and there are directions on the box to turn these cookies from plain sugar to snicker doodles, I was off to the kitchen.

These were one of the easiest cookies I have ever made and the results were quite satisfying. They came out sort of chewy crisp in the center and crisp on the outside. I have to say that they are so close to the sugar cookies that I remember from days gone bye, that even those who think I am plain crazy for going gluten free wouldn't even know that they are NOT loaded with wheat!!! These cookies could also be iced and decorated if you choose, or made into shortbread cookies, or lemon bars as well, by following the easy directions provided on the box.

The recipe called for 1/3 cup margarine, 1/3 cup white shortening, and 2 large eggs. Beat on high for two minutes and bake. Easy and quick...There are also additional recipes for this mix on their home site like Banana Cream pie, Fruit pizza, and Chocolate pie crust using this mix, plus several others.

These are a rather large cookie as the recipe makes 24 cookies using a cookie scoop. I actually got a 26 count from the mix. I baked them for the full 13 minutes and they seemed perfect in every way. I guess if you wanted a smaller cookie you could use less dough per cookie and bake for a lesser amount of time to fit your Holiday cookie tray better. I will try this the next time myself.

Sun Flour Mills offers many other mixes and flours and you will find their Sugar Cookie mix at Sun Flour Mills . Stop by their site and see what they have to offer. You'll be glad you did!

Ingredients:
Cane sugar, white rice flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt.

Rating: 5+ Stars

Have a great wheat free week, and enjoy life to the fullest!!!
 

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...