Saturday, May 26, 2012

Sun Flour Mills Pizza Crust & French Bread mix

I received a Whole Grain Pizza Crust & French Bread mix compliments of Sun Flour Mills. This being only the second "homemade" pizza crust mix I have ever used I was kind of excited. Hey, I tried one before and didn't do to bad, so I wanted to see if  I could conquer this mix also.  Besides...I NOW have a pizza pan!
I have to admit preparing this pizza crust was a bit more frustrating than the last mix I had tried, and honestly I wasn’t sure if it would turn out. The dough was so soft and sticky, it was really hard to spread evenly in the pan.  The directions call to use sprayed plastic wrap to smooth the dough out in the pan and it just wasn't working to well for for me, but I pressed on and finally seemed to make the most out of it.
After the dough rose and I had pre-baked the crust it looked quite uneven, high in spots, low in others.  I was ready to give up and  just toss the whole thing, but it had smelled so good while baking that I added the sauce, toppings, and cheese and popped back in the oven to finish baking. The crust came out medium thick with a nice crunchy edge, with a mild flavor. I have to admit that even though the dough is not so easy to work with, baked high in some areas and low in others,  it was definitely a winner in the end as it tasted almost like regular pizza dough from days gone bye. It was all eaten, right down to the last slice!
The box also lists recipes for  bagels, donuts and bread sticks that you can make from the mix which is also nice, giving you a variety of choices.

Although the dough is a bit hard to work with, I have to admit the flavor made it well worth the effort. I would give it this mix:

5 Stars for flavor
BUT
4 Stars for the difficulty of working with the dough

Ingredients: Brown rice flour, Cornstarch, Tapioca starch, Cane sugar, Salt, Xanthan gum, Yeast
Nutritional Snapshot ( mix only): 140 calories, 0 g fat, 3 g. fiber, 2 g. sugar, 2 g, protein

If you would like to try this mix or others offered by Sun Flour Mills you can visit their home site at: http://www.sunflourmills.com/

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...