Thursday, May 24, 2012

Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice & Mixed Berries cereal...

Attune Foods was kind enough to provide me with a box of their Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice & Mixed Berries cereal to try. As a kid we always had a box of Rice Crispies in the cupboard for those mornings when we were just plain feeling "lazy". I use to love listening to the sounds of  "snap..crackle...pop' during breakfast.

The Erewhon version of this cereal reminds me of a lightly sweetened  Rice Krispies type cereal, but is much healthier and tastier. The only ingredients are organic brown rice, organic brown rice syrup, organic honey, freeze dried blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, sea salt and natural berry flavor.

The cereal held up well in milk and didn't become soggy as most cereals tend to do, however the crisp flakes did seem to have a tendency to clump  together, I believe this to possibly be from the brown rice and honey syrups when they become wet from the milk.

Also the  amounts of protein and fiber in the cereal are not significant enough that it will tide you over and keep you full, so be prepared with a mid morning snack. However, having said this, I did enjoy the blending of the lightly sweetened brown rice flakes and the freeze dried berries. 

Although I enjoyed eating it straight from the box as more of a snack other than as a breakfast cereal it is a nice staple to have in the cupboard. My grandsons seemed to enjoy it and even asked for seconds!

Overall, I love the simple ingredients in the Attune Foods cereals and their commitment to quality organic ingredients. My hat goes off to a company who cares about those who must eat Gluten Free!

Rating:   4 1/4 Stars

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...