Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Mom's No Bakes...A Christmas Tradition!


Hi all. I know its been awhile but so much has happened over the past few months I don't know where to begin. Loosing several of our loved ones over the past months has seriously taken a toll on our family, myself included. After loosing my mom the stress has just seemed to pile up like a ton of bricks. Not only have I become mentally fatigued but it has wreaked havoc on my body physically as well. I have now had a cold since before Thanksgiving and am trying just about everything I can think of to get rid of it as I am scheduled for surgery on the 11th...You know the old saying, "It never rains but that it pours"...Speaking of rain, I can hear it hitting the roof above as I type.

Christmas is now exactly 25 days away and since I wont be able to do much of anything after my surgery and Christmas will then be only two weeks away at that point, I need to have my house decorated, cookies baked, presents bought and wrapped, fudge made....well you get the picture. The inside is already decorated and the tree is up so I can cross that off my list, although the outside this year is going to look rather dreary. Just too much to do and so little time!

The Buckeyes are made. This is the first time ever that I have made them and if I do say so myself they came out rather good looking, and rather tasty...YUM! Okay, so I have to give some credit to my daughter Jammie as she did help to shape them.

Christmas is not Christmas here without my mom's no bakes, and I am extremely pleased that these will freeze well so I can get them make ahead of time along with my other Christmas cookie assortment. I have my work cut out for me over the next week for my cookie trays to become a reality for the Holiday feast..

Daily chores, baking, shopping, its overwhelming when you are not feeling up to par. These cookies are on every ones favorite list and are definitely a must have. Although they are not fancy, colored, or decorative, they are loved by everyone, and a remembrance of mom.

We hope that you will enjoy them as much as we do and include them in your Christmas family tradition.

Sharon (Lee)

Mom's No Bakes:

2 cups granulated sugar
4 T cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
3 cup Quick Oats
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teas vanilla

Over LOW heat  (mom said this is the trick) heat the sugar, cocoa, and milk, constantly stirring until sugar is dissolved.. Once you are sure the sugar is dissolved you can turn the heat to medium and bring to a boil, Do not boil for more than 1 minute! It should have reached a soft ball stage when dropped into cold water at this point.

Remove from the heat and add the rest of ingredient at this stage. Mix until thoroughly combined. Drop by tablespoons onto waxed or parchment paper, I use a cookie scoop to make them more uniform, let set until firm and completely cooled. The cookies can be stored in freezer at this time to await the Holiday festivities!!!
                                                                                

 

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...