Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Agar Agar Powder

Today is my day off and naturally instead of sleeping in I woke up at 5:30 AM....So far I have cleaned, made cookies, and taken a cat nap with my cat Angel.. LOL All joking aside it has been a prosperous day so far I believe.

 Lately I have been contemplating about some of the gluten free flours and products I have been using. I have been doing some extensive  research about the binding ingredients used in gluten free baking such as Xanthan gum, and the other gums.

I know you need some sort of binding as there is definitely NO gluten's in the flours I use so I started researching some alternatives to use,  as it seems the gums seem to be giving me some issues as of late.

I came upon a article online that states you can use a product called Agar Agar  Powder in place of these gums, and therefore I have ordered a jar and hopefully plan to give it a try in my recipes in the very near future. As soon as I have some results I will post them.

In the mean time I am still "mixing it up"  with several flour combinations trying to find the best flour blends for different baked goods. I hope your gluten free living is going well and I'll be back online soon with more fun recipes...

Until then if you have any suggestions or recipes you would like to share drop me a line in the contact form.

Sharon

 

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...