Friday, October 18, 2013

Flour Tortillas that are gluten free...

Lately I have had a craving for a good Mexican burrito, or a great  sizzling hot fajita, or taco's...yum. I am so over most of the pre-made gluten free tortilla shells that you find in the stores, as I find most of them tough and tasteless. So I decided I must try to make my own. Although these take a little effort they are soft, pliable, and rather tasty. Hope you will give them a try and let me know what you think.

Although I use my own flour blend mix I am sure most gluten free all purpose flour blend mixes on the market would do.

Ingredients:

2 c. Gluten free all purpose flour mix
2 Tbsp. shortening (may sub lard or butter)
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 c. warm water

Add all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Cut the shortening, lard, or butter into the flour so that it’s evenly distributed. (I use a pastry blender, and prefer shortening)

Add the cup of warm water to the bowl and mix the dry goods into the water with your hand. Just squish it all up until all of the dry ingredients are no longer dry.  If you think it is too dry at this point add a little more water, as all flour blends are NOT created equal :-)

Separate the dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Place all but one of the dough balls back into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap until you’re ready to work with them.

Sprinkle a clean, flat surface with a bit of rice flour and then roll you dough ball into a roughly circular shape. Get is as thin as possible. I roll mine between parchment paper taped to my counter for easy cleanup.

Place each rolled tortilla onto a hot griddle, one at a time, with just a bit of shortening or oil, and let it cook approximately 1 minute or until it has started swelling up and the bottom side is getting puffy brown spots. Flip the tortilla over and cook the other side until it is toasted as well.

Repeat until you have cooked all 8 tortillas. Recipe makes 8 nice size shells...

Enjoy!!!
Sharon 

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...