Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pamela's Bread Mix...

Yesterday it was off to the store for some of my "back up" bread from Udi's in the freezer section with no luck. My favorite store was all sold out, so out of necessity I was going to have to bake a loaf on my own.

I have tried several of Pamela's products  with good results, so their bread mix being one of the least expensive on the shelf of the limited few to choose from, was my choice of the day...

I wish I had read the directions on the back of the bag however as this calls for a heavy duty mixer when making the OVEN version, but I decided to give it a try anyway. On any other day I wouldn't have minded using my trusty 5 Speed hand mixer. It has worked well with other bread mixes I have made, but today I was having a little trouble working with the mixer because of a gardening injury to my hand from yesterday. Still however, even though the consistency of the dough is quite dense, I made it through...I did however add a extra minute of mixing the batter than called for,  and definitely used the highest speed on the mixer.

 Here is a picture of the bread before rising:


I covered the pan with parchment paper and set the timer for 60 minutes. The dough rose beautifully and after placing in the oven, rose slightly more.The thing I liked most about this mix from Pamela's is that it has added Millet and Sorghum flours for slightly more fiber content. There are several recipes on the bag for a chewy pizza crust, bagels, pie crust, sweet bread, and even a egg or yeast free version. Wow! You can even use this mix in your gravies and sauces.

The directions say to bake for 60-70 minutes so I set my timer for 60 minutes and tested with a thermometer inserted in the center to see if it was done. I added just another 5 minutes to the baking time, and got a beautiful, delicious, moist loaf of bread as the results. It is a hearty tasting bread I am sure you will enjoy. Delish.

Happy wheat free day!!!
Sharon
 

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...