Saturday, April 6, 2013

Astoria Mills Chococolate Chip Cake...

Wow, the weekend is here again and it actually seems fairly nice outside, too bad I am not in a energetic mood to work in the garden... though I did however get a few things done in the house, as we are once again getting company this weekend.

Baking and I seem to go hand in hand, and since I am now taking a Cake Decorating class for the second time in my life, I decided to bake a cake. Gluten Free of course! Chocolate is a all time favorite, well mine anyway, so I pulled out my #2 Pastry Flour mix from Astoria Mills.

There are four recipes on the back of this bag of mix and they all look delicious, but I needed a dessert for this evening. This particular mix is great for pies, pastries, cookies, pasta, biscuits, scones, cakes and pudding to name a few.

I have to admit that Trina Astor-Stewart has out done herself this time. The cake rose like a "regular" cake,  and baked evenly throughout. I used two 9" pans as opposed to the 9x12 cake pan in the directions, as I  wanted a nice tall two layer cake to decorate, and to show off my newly acquired decorating skills.....well that is if I have time :-)

I am really impressed that Astoria Mills  product line is not only wheat & gluten free, but their mixes are also free of milk, lactose, cassein, soy, bean/pea, sesame, tree nuts, peanuts and sulphates.

The only thing I would do differently with this recipe is to not only grease the cake pans, but to also line the bottoms with parchment paper as I had a little trouble getting one of the cakes out of the pan. It did however come out intact and in one piece! I would definitely give this cake recipe using Mix # 2 a HUGE thumbs up. The next time I will try leaving out  the chocolate chips for a more "real" cake feel. I might also try swapping out the applesauce with plain yogurt.This is a picture of the bottom layer of cake before icing...

I baked the batter for 25 minutes but next time will test after 20 minutes for a moister crust feel...my bad! The icing helped moisten the top however, so all is good. Everyone I am sure will love this cake. It is chocolaty, moist and delicious. Sorry, I had to do a taste test before hand as you can see from the finished photo! Mmmmmm.... No time to use my decorating skills as you can see but I am sure no one will even notice after their first bite :-)

Astoria Mills has 7 different mixes to use, with the freedom to pretty much bake anything you wish. You can visit their web site to view their hundreds of recipes at  Astoria Mills .While you are there if  you have any questions just drop Trina a line, and be sure to tell her Sharon from Wheat Free Living & Me sent ya.

Have a great wheat free day.
Sharon

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...