Friday, February 22, 2013

The Really Great Food Company...Orange Cake mix


Last night I was hungry for something light and fruity. I had received a Orange Cake mix from The Really Great Food Company, and decided this just might be what I needed.

As I prepared this mix  I was really impressed with the look of this batter, as its appearance was  much like wheat laden batters from days gone bye.

It rose nicely in the oven, and baked perfectly throughout. It was moist and light, with just enough orange flavor to satisfy my "fruit fix" but to not overwhelm the taste buds. If you wanted a stronger orange flavor I would suggest adding some extra grated orange peel.The only problem I have with this mix is that with it was so good, I couldn't stop at just one piece...  Oops.

This is a light, moist cake that is sure to please even those who are not gluten free eaters. I love that this cake was simple, easy to make, and baked exactly as the box directions called. It’s not often that a gluten-free mix works as perfectly as a “regular” box mix, and this one did.

I put the batter in a bunt pan and baked it for the max time stated on the box directions, although it probably could have came out of the oven a few minutes earlier. Still it was moist, rich and a real treat. I opted not to put any frosting or glaze on it so as not to take away the fruity taste I had been craving, although I am sure it would have been just as delicious with a nice orange glaze to drizzle on top.

Orange juice, eggs, and oil are all that is needed for this mix, and it was so easy to make I was done in no time at all. One bowl, one pan, and one measuring cup was all I needed!

When I had first started my gluten free journey almost a year ago I had purchased the "Mock Rye" bread mix from this company and was greatly pleased with the taste and texture, so it was no big surprise how good this mix also was.

This cake makes about 15 servings so it is great for a Church function or family gathering as well. I froze the remaining cake ( just couldn't quit eating it ) to enjoy in the future. With about 120 calories per serving, of which are rather large, it is a real treat.

There is 0% trans fat, saturated fat, and 0% total fats in this mix. The Really Great Food Company's  products are manufactured in a gluten free, nut free facility. Their mixes are also wheat free, casein free, dairy free, and soy free, for those who have these allergies also.

I would recommend this mix to all gluten free eaters, as well as those who are not gluten free, as the taste and texture are so similar to a wheat laden cake that anyone would have a hard time telling that it is even gluten free!

Although the mix costs just a little more than most on the market it is definitely worth a try, as it is worth every penny spent. I am sure you will not be disappointed. You can find their Devils Food Cake mix, Lemon Poppy Seed mix, Golden Cake mix, and their Pineapple Cake mix at the Gluten Free .com icon to the right of this post, under the title Cakes, although you will need to purchase the Orange Cake mix from their home site at http://www.reallygreatfood.com

Ingredients:
White rice flour, potato starch flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder(sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, cornstarch, monocalcium phosphate), baking soda, orange peel, orange flavor, xanthan gum, salt.

I definitely have to give this mix a thumbs up at 5+ Stars...

Happy wheat free day!
Sharon

 

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...