Saturday, May 26, 2012

Taste of Gluten Free Pizza Crust mix...

Taste of Gluten Free sent me a pizza crust mix to try. I have never made my own pizza crust before as we have always eaten pizza out, but  since beginning my wheat/gluten free adventure I decided to give it a try, and hope I didn't mess up to bad.
It comes in a 12 ounce mix that makes one large pizza, and sells for $5 on their home site. It is packaged in a  black thick bag, which I like, as it  helps to  protect the mix from the light.
To prepare the crust you must  first mix  2 teaspoons of  vinegar, 2 teaspoons of  oil, and 1 1/3 cup of warm water. Since this was my first time making pizza crust at home I didn't have a pizza pan so I used a rectangle cookie sheet and placed the dough on it. Using rice flour as the directions call for to keep the dough from sticking to my  hands I formed the dough to the shape of the pan making a nice border edge of dough.
 I placed the pizza into a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 minutes. I then added my home made pizza sauce and cheese (recipe for sauce previously posted on blog) and  placed the pizza back in the oven for an additional 25 minutes.
The crust held up to the toppings and cheese although it was not as thick as I had imagined it would be, possibly the shape and size of the pan I used... The crust is soft and chewy, yet not so soft where it falls apart. I found that the edges were a little crisp but not dry 
There are Italian seasoning in the crust which add a nice flavor. Although I like the flavor of this crust it turned out a little to thin for my personal taste. When I try this crust the next time I will use the new pizza pan I have recently purchased, as this  might make a difference in the thickness of the crust.

Rating 4  Stars
Ingredients: Rice flour, Tapioca starch, Dry milk powder, Yeast, Xanthan gum, Gelatin powder, Italian seasoning, Salt, Sugar.
No nutritional information is provided on the bag for this mix.
If you would like to try this mix for yourself visit their home site at: http://tasteofglutenfree.net

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...