Thursday, May 10, 2012

Product review...J&D's Natural Bacon Salt..

As you already know I do not eat red meat or pork. Give me chicken, turkey or fish and I am a happy camper, but I do miss my bacon on occasion. In my search for wheat free products I was lucky enough  to stumble upon J&D's Bacon salt site and was happy to learn they have a product that is suppose to satisfy your "bacon" cravings and  that is gluten free. So if you are like me and avoid such meats, but miss your bacon, then please read on.
J&D's was kind enough to send me a complimentary jar of their "NATURAL Bacon Salt" which is gluten free and low sodium, and I was pleasantly surprised at the taste. Heck...it even smells like bacon.
I have tried it on baked potatoes with butter and sour cream. Although it doesn't have the crunch of bacon  it adds a nice flavor.
I sprinkled it in my homemade potato and leek soup. It turns the soup a slight orange color, but tastes great, without actually adding any bacon.
 I have even sprinkled a little on my "MOCK" BLT with tomatoes, lettuce and mayo. I sprinkle it on my scrambled eggs for that bacon and egg breakfast treat.
It is definitely not bacon, bacon is bacon of course, but for those of us who are "bacon free eaters" it is a nice substitute.
It has zero calories and zero fat. It is vegetarian, kosher and gluten free. It contains no artificial flavors, no MSG, no pork products and is low in sodium.
Their home site offers recipes of which I have yet to explore. As a substitute for the real thing I have to admit it does a decent job. If you are interested in trying the gluten free Natural Bacon Salt you can visit their website at http://www.baconsalt.com/
Rating:  4 1/2 STARS

JD's Natural Bacon Salt
Ingredients:
Salt
Garlic
Paprika
Maltodextrin
Autolyzed Yeast Extract,  and less than 2% Silicon Dioxide added to prevent caking
Spices
Natural Flavor


No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...