Monday, May 21, 2012

Applesauce Cake mix review from Taste of Gluten Free...

Taste of Gluten Free sent me a 19.5 ounce gluten free applesauce cake mix to try. I love apple cake and haven't made one for quite some time now, so I was really excited to give this mix a try.  The mix makes a 9 inch cake and retails for $5.00 on their website.
The directions were fairly easy. I combined the the wet ingredients called for in the directions, added the dry mix and poured into a 9" square pan.  I baked the cake for the full 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven, and although the cake tester came out clean I added another 5 minutes onto the baking time as the cake still looked quite moist yet, and I wanted to be sure it was done. I let it cool completely before cutting and the cake was one of the moistest cakes I have ever made.
I could  taste the spices slightly a little more than the apples, leaning the cake a little more in a spice cake direction for my tastes.
This gluten free applesauce cake was extremely moist, so moist in fact that I was leery of attempting to frost it, so I just added a dollop of whipped topping and served.
Overall, this is a very tasty cake and I will be adding it as a regular to my pantry.

Rating: 4 1/2 Stars
Ingredients: sugar, rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, egg replacer, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground cloves, ground allspice. If you are interested in trying this Applesauce Cake for yourself you can find it on their home site at:

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...