Monday, April 9, 2012

Product review...Newman's Own Organic EVO

The day I received my  bottle of Newman's Own Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil I  set out to do some experimenting. My first experiment was that of a homemade salad dressing for the nights dinner. I found the oil to blend quite nicely with the vinegar and added seasonings and to not 'Weigh down" the taste of the vegetables in the salad.
 I then sauteed some onions on low heat  in preparation to add to my homemade chili recipe and found it to not only sautes well but did not overpower the flavor of the onions.
Remembering I had another brand of  EVO in my cupboard I decided to do a taste comparison straight from the bottles with no additives or spices of any kind. The differences in comparison were amazing! Newman's Own had a great mild, fruity taste while the other name brand tasted more like Canola oil and left a greasy aftertaste in my mouth.
Newman's Own is cold pressed in Tunisia  Italy and is extra virgin which is considered the finest and fruitiest. It doesn't have an aftertaste and didn't over weigh the flavors of whatever I put it on. It comes in a dark green bottle to help protect if from exposure to light which can cause your oil to become rancid. It is certified Organic by the Oregon Tilth. It is also reasonably priced compared to other cold pressed olive oils on the market.
I enjoyed the taste and lightness of this oil on everything I have tried it on so far and like knowing it is a Organic wheat /gluten free product that comes from a company that cares.


 I would rate this product 5 out of  5.

* Note

Olive oil exposed to low temperatures (refrigerator) will naturally become cloudy or solidify although there is no quality loss. To restore olive oil to its natural condition expose to room temperature for 24 hours.


No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...