Thursday, March 29, 2012

Wheat free baked lasagna...


Wow, Wow, and Wow is all I can say about this recipe! I guess since I have not been able to find a wheat free bread substitute yet, that loosing a few noodles in a lasagna dish is the last thing on my mind.
Surfing the net I found quite a few recipes for "noodle free" lasagna's but many versions contained meat as a ingredient.
As I had mentioned at the beginning, I tried the Vegan lifestyle for many months until all that soy sent my hormones off the chart, so although I have Incorporated turkey, chicken and fish back into my diet I try to avoid red meats at this point of my life...Who knows, someday that juicy steak might just have my name on it, but until then I have opted for a meatless lasagna recipe.

I do have a tendency to experiment with recipes from time to time so I took all the recipes that appealed to me and created my own version of this delectable dish. Here goes.

Baked Zucchini Lasagna:

Ingredients.

2 pounds zucchini, sliced (use a slicer to ensure slices are the same thickness)
2 eggs
24 ounce container Ricotta cheese
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 teas. salt
1/2 teas. black pepper
1 teas. dry oregano
1 teas. dry basil
1 teas. dry thyme
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1 jar Spaghetti sauce of your choice (Can use the meat kind if desired)
2 cups grated low fat mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Mix Ricotta cheese, eggs, parsley, salt, pepper, grated Romano cheese, oregano, basil and thyme together.

Place 1/3 of zucchini in bottom of pan with sides touching.Spread 1/3 of cheese mixture on top of zucchini. Spread 1/3 of sauce on top of cheese mixture. Spread 1/3 of grated low fat mozzarella on top of sauce.

Repeat layers twice more ending  with the low fat mozzarella cheese. Cover pan with foil and bake approx 45minutes to  60 minutes depending on thickness of zucchini slices. Remove foil. Switch oven to broil and broil uncovered for approx 5 minutes or until cheese on top browns. Let set for 15 minutes before cutting.

Serves 8


*Note: There will be some juice in bottom of pan from the moisture in the zucchini. Even more delicious the next day!!!

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...